Search This Blog

Thursday, January 19, 2012

How cold is cold?

Well, it never got above zero today. In fact, with the wind chill it was around 12 below. For me, it wasn't bad. I had an appointment this morning, inside of course. Then I was home for the rest of the day.

My chickens are not so happy. They came out or a minute or two, so I moved their food inside. My Buff Orpington rooster really wanted to be outside. He came out and stood for a moment, then lifted one foot...stood for a moment and then switched feet. So I picked him up and encouraged him back in his chicken door, he turned and looked at me and started back outside. So I nudged the door almost closed, he finally agreed with me.
When I returned to the chicken yard around one, it was only a few below, there were three or four chickens out, so I brought out one of their food dishes.
Tomorrow we are expecting a heat wave...it's expected to be in the teens. The chickens will probably breaking out in dance, and well I will be cross country skiing with Laurie!
Y'all keep warm, ya hear! Blessings Patti

2 comments:

  1. Some folks have heat lamps for their coops. I am not sure if this is something you consider, and I do not know too much about them. But the light may allow for hens to continue to lay in the bitter cold.

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  2. We were a lot warmer here, -7* with wind chill. Our chickens took a walk about, mostly hung out by our wood shed, but they do that on warm days too. They didn't seem to mind it, which surprised us for they were finicky little things when they had their first snow. It was quite funny to watch.

    No heat lamps here, just the light for at night for a continued light cycle.

    Have fun cross co. skiing!!

    ReplyDelete