Search This Blog

Friday, January 27, 2012

Another beautiful day in the north woods!

Looking up our drive way from the road
I was recently asked if I live in heaven.
Well, I am pretty sure that where I live is about as close as you can get...with out actually dying.
I know there are a lot of people out there that hate the snow and cold...Well honestly, I will never understand them. As I look out my window, the first thing I see is an amazingly blue sky. Mind you its not any ordinary blue. Its the blue that you picture when you think of the ocean and sky coming together, yet you are not really sure where they separate.
I got to enjoy a little piece of heaven with Laurie as we were off cross country skiing. We went over to the Razorback trails. Now mind you these are walking distance from my house, but I've never been there. Laurie is telling me you should go do this alone too. You're so close. I didn't tell her that, I'm a bit of a chicken. You see there are several trails...it is a really pretty wooded area, some rolling hills with these amazing curves. If you have ever cross country skied you might be getting the picture. If not...well imagine going down hill, not like down hill skiing. But you have these narrow, slippery little sticks attached to your boots. And you just have to figure out how to maneuver yourself down this hill as it curves with out falling. Yeah, right?! Now that I have skied it with her, I know going alone won't be happening anytime soon. I got a good refresher course on how to get back up after falling. I never got hurt falling, but you have to know that you don't just get up when you have skis attached to your feet. It could actually be considered an art. Not one that I want to perfect mind you!
Today I'm at work where we have a camp in that is actually out skiing. While I am here to prepare their meals, I am really feeling those hills from yesterday. No bruises, just muscles that apparently needed a reminder that they can still function.
So I am off to prepare the salad bar, I already have fudgy brownies made, that I am serving with mint chocolate chip ice cream.
For the main course I am making a little creation of my own...I'm calling, Tuscan Pasta. Its a multi grain thin spaghetti served with roasted tomatoes that are packed in olive oil, garlic, oregano, and basil with a splash of vinegar. I add a bit of chipolte pepper and then I toss it all with shrimp and scallops that I have sauted in olive oil and if I'm in the mood I grate a little fresh Asiago cheese on top! I am serving this with some organic multi-grain bread.
Well, since we should be recovered by Monday, we will be skiing again. Our goal this season is to see how many area trails we can get out and explore! Hopefully minimizing the art of standing up again! See Y'all Blessings!

Looking across the street towards the lake from our front yard

Looking down the road, towards the ski trail from our drive.

4 comments:

  1. Tuscan Pasta - yum, my favorite, i think...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You do like that one Nicole, usually I put sausage in it. Miss you!

      Delete
  2. Hello Patti... good to see you got out there, sure sounds like very good exercise.

    Both Farmer Hubby & I come from sunny states originally and people wonder what the heck we're doing in the midwest. It's beautiful here and we looove all the seasons and especially winter. The snow is sparkly and when the sun shines with blue skies while the snow lay on the ground, well it's breath taking. Our snow is almost all melted but more to come late tonight or tomorrow. It's been a weird winter so far, I'm sure for you guys too.

    Sounds like everyone will have a good meal to come back to and yummylicious desert too! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sassy,
      I can't imagine living without the seasons! My daughter and her hubby spent a year and half in San Francisco...they had a terrible time missing the seasons. I swear my body is so in tune when the days get shorter and longer. I just "click" with whatever is going on. It is amazing exercise! I'm still a little sore, thank goodness, I also have tomorrow to recover before skiing on Monday! Bummer about your snow. We got a few more inches last night and a bit more now. I hope you get some more. Have you ever gone snowshoeing? That is also a great time. But you have to have a good amount of snow for that. We have the really big old fashioned ones and go out back on our property/ my husbands family property. It's very peaceful. It has been a weird winter, but I am happy we are finally getting snow. Its good for our economy and the lakes when it melts this spring. Blessings!

      Delete